August 19, 2026

Business Chamber gets a new committee but challenges remain

The crowd at last year’s Chamber-run New Year’s Eve celebrations. Photo: Supplied.

AFTER many failed attempts, the Gloucester Business Chamber has at last been successful in forming a management committee.

In March this year, News Of The Area reported that, after 99 years, the Chamber faced several significant problems and was facing closure.

A public meeting on 28 March allowed members of the community to express their views and to ask questions, but did not result in any real resolution.

However, at a postponed AGM on 29 July a committee was finally elected, with local businessman Stuart Redman becoming president, Sandra Twomey vice-president, Steve Whybrow as treasurer and Greg Carson as an executive member.

The Chamber is still seeking someone to step in as secretary.

NOTA recently had the opportunity to sit down with Mr Redman to discuss the future role of the Chamber and some of the issues that need to be resolved by the new committee.

Mr Redman explained that the main function of the Chamber was to represent and promote the interests of Gloucester businesses, whatever their nature, including online and working from home businesses.

At the public meeting, immediate past Chamber president Matt Clinch had suggested that the Chamber had made a 12-month loss of $16,000 and was in debt. News Of The Area asked Mr Redman about the present financial position of the Chamber.

“At this stage we don’t have the final picture,” said Mr Redman.

“We are still trying to get our heads around what sort of position the Chamber is in and what its membership base is.

“The membership is low and we want to know why it is so low.

“If any business in Gloucester is not a member, we’d like to find out why.

“At the moment we just want to get the Chamber operating as a Business Chamber should.

“To the best of our knowledge the Chamber is solvent – maybe only just.”

News Of The Area also asked Mr Redman about the fact that eight months after New Year’s Eve the raffle prize of a car had still not been provided to the winner of the raffle.

“We don’t know the full story about that yet,” said Mr Redman.

“Are we going to find out the full story? Absolutely we are.

“It’s an issue, and the reputation of the Chamber probably swings on that because everyone in the community is talking about it.”

Until recently, two of the main activities of the Chamber had been the running of the Gloucester markets and the popular New Year’s Eve concert and fireworks.

Mr Redman indicated that the Chamber would probably take the markets back, although perhaps indirectly in association with others.

“We think the markets are important to the town and we’ve started early negotiations with the Council,” said Mr Redman.

“There will also be a New Year’s Eve celebration this year, but perhaps not quite as big or extensive.

“The fireworks last year were the best outside Sydney.”

As to the future activities of the Chamber, Mr Redman indicated that the new committee had not yet had the opportunity to develop a final plan for the future, but had begun the process.

Any business or member of the community seeking more information about the Chamber can contact Mr Redman on 0428 587 534 or via email at stuart.redman@live.com.au.

By John WATTS

You can help your local paper.

Make a small once-off, or (if you can) a regular donation.

We are an independent family owned business and our newspapers are free to collect and our news stories are free online.

Help support us into the future.

Don’t miss the opportunity to have your say.

Our reader survey closes at midnight on Sunday 12th July.

TAKE OUR SURVEY

To help us continue improving and delivering the content you value, we’d love to hear from you.